The cast members for the upcoming Super Sentai series, Avataro Sentai Donbrothers, have been revealed.
The cast of the latest installment of the Super Sentai franchise, Avataro Sentai Donbrothers, were announced during the Donbrothers press conference on February 9.
Don Momotaro/Tarou Momoi will be portrayed by Kouhei Higuchi. He made his acting debut in 2020, appearing in the reality series Koi to Ookami ni wa Damaerunai.
Saru Brother/Shinichi Saruhara will be portrayed by Yuuki Beppu.
Oni Sister/Haruka Onigashira will be portrayed by Kohaku Shida.
Inu Brother/Tsubasa Inuzuka will be potrayed by Toutarou.
Kiji Brother/Tsuyoshi Kiji will be portrayed by Hirofumi Suzuki. He is a part of the TikTok Drama Production team called “Gokko Club”.
Also present at the conference was Kiita Komagine, who portrayed Zenkaiser/Kaito Goshikida in Kikai Sentai Zenkaiger and will be reprising his role for the upcoming series. This time he is portraying Zenkaiser Black.
The team composition is based on the Japanese children’s story, “Momotaro, the Peach Boy”. For those unfamiliar with the story, it begins with an elderly couple finding a giant peach floating down the river. Inside was a baby whom they named Momotaro (lit. “peach boy”). When he got older, Momotaro left to go on a quest to defeat ogres (oni) and befriends a dog (inu), monkey (saru), and pheasant (kiji) who accompany him.
Included in Toei’s announcement are multiple things of note that further set the series apart.
- This is the first series title since Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters (2012~2013) to not end in “-ger”.
- Each of the members have unique character designs. For instance, Don Momotaro’s topknot, Oni Sister’s horns, and Saru Brother’s muscular physique. On the extremes of stature, Inu Brother is 100 cm tall (approx 3 ft 3 in) and Kiji Brother is 220 cm tall (approx 7 ft 2 in).
- This will be Toshiki Inoue’s first time as a head writer for a Super Sentai series since Chojin Sentai Jetman (1991~1992). For those unfamiliar with Inoue, he was the main writer for multiple Heisei-era Kamen Rider series such as Kamen Rider Agito (2001~2002), Kamen Rider 555 (2003~2004), and Kamen Rider Kiva (2008~2009).
- In addition, Ryuta Tasaki, the director of the currently airing series Kikai Sentai Zenkaiger, will continue as director for Donbrothers as well.
The series will begin airing on March 6, 2022, but Don Momotaro made a surprise appearance in episode 42 of Kikai Sentai Zenkaiger on January 9. Don Momotaro transforms using his “DonBlaster” which seems to be able to read the Zenkaigers’ Sentai gears. Not only that, his super-bike, the “Enya Ride-on” is able to combine with Zenkai Juran to make a giant robot…?!
Avataro Sentai Donbrothers will also mark the first time since the transition from Denshi Sentai Denziman (1980~1981) to Taiyo Sentai Sun Vulcan (1981~1982) where characters from the previous series carry over into the following series. However, instead of an enemy character carrying over, it will be characters from the heroes’ side to continue into the next story.
- Chihiro Inoue (TV Asahi)
- Shinichiro Shirakura (Toei)
- Naomi Takebe (Toei)
- Koichi Yada (Toei Agency)
- Akihiro Fukada (Toei Agency)
- Original Work: Saburo Hatte
- Screenplay: Toshiki Inoue
- Director: Ryuta Tasaki
- Action Director: Hirofumi Fukuzawa
- SFX Director: Hiroshi Butsuda